Monday, June 18, 2012

Cheesequake from Maggie's Farm

Okay, so I sorted out a couple of patients with my apprentice caregiver. She still has room for 3 more people for you patients out there interested in my sort of caregiver service.


Now, on to Cheesequake and Maggie's Farm. :-)

According to the label, Cheesequake is a 55/45 (Sativa/Indica) hybrid.  For any one not familiar with the nomenclature, I'll explain., Sativas tend to give you effects like energy and a cerebral high while Indicas go more for the overall budy buzz.  It can get really complicated scientifically, but that's a reasonable simplification. 

These effects can be negative.  Someone with fear or anger issues may become anxious or even paranoid (if a little unhinged to begin with).  Being old has its advantages.  I've had more time than some to sort myself out and not take what other people think as a reflection on myself.  So, my reviiews are, of course, very subjective to my conditions and stage of life.

For instance, I'm a really poor evaluator of the anxiety side effect of MJ because after much soul-searching (aka therapy), I've dealt with the more severe issues I had and am a much more balanced person now.  So a strain may negatively affect someone else that way without me having any indication.  On the other side, if a strain ever DOES do that to me, then it must be pretty severe on that side effect and most patients should probably stay away from it to be on the safe side.


Cheesequake: 

So, as it so informatively says on the label, this is a 55/45 hybrid.

Typically, Cheesecake should give you the Sativa energy and alertness with the Indica body buzz and relaxation.  http://www.leafly.com/indica/cheese-quake

First thing I felt very soon after using was my frontal lobe got nicely numb.  Your frontal lobe handles your problem solving and thought processes, so I wouldn't use this on a day you need to be fully alert.  That's its kind of cerebral high. 

I also had some healthy dry mouth.

Some Sativas make me think better and others make me fuzzy.  An hour after use, I'm getting some squeezing behind my eyes and my brain feels kind of shielded, but the MJ seems to be moving on to other parts of my brain (temporal lobes atm).  (Others describe that as "fluffy," but I since my brain doesn't feel soft, just very solid behind some nice concertina wire, I won't use that term here.  Maybe someday I'll find a strain that actually makes me feel fluffy, but I'm not holding my breath over it.)

Having a nice body buzz with it, so good for muscle spasms and pain relief.

I'm not feeling anying energy, so I recommend this for a day when you just need to relax (my ROTC instructor used to call those "attitude-adjustment days").  We all need some good relaxation as needed so we can untie the stress knots the world can put into us before they get too complicated, so I can recommend this strain of Cheesequake for that.

That being said, this is kind of interfering with my ability to write this review.  It's taking longer than it should.  I'm feeling kind of dumb and humorless.  The fatigue I'm feeling could lead some patients into depressive feelings, so please be careful.


Maggie's Farm:

Very good labeling.  All strains are clearly identified and some even include info on the effects of the strain.  Good stuff for those new to the MMJ community.  The labels also include the Maggie's Farm logo, so you won't forget where you got it from.  (Good marketing - Cheers!)

Very well planned label, however the fill-in-the blank spots for date, MMR# and batch number were blank.  Now, they also labelled it with the standard computer printed name, dispensary, weight and strain name, so I can appreciate the planning for writing that info on their dispensary label even though the date and MMR# are kind of redundant, so leaving them blank when the vial is labelled on the other side with that info is okay.  But having a blank for the batch number just feels kind of lazy.  Like someone had a great plan for tracking something and then they abandoned the effort.

Strains can vary a bit from batch to batch, so I appreciate them planning to write in what batch it came from as being informative for the more anal retentive patients (like me) who are interested in tracking these things, but leaving it blank shows good intent with no followthrough.

Plastic container isn't air tight and also a bit of trouble to open.  Patients with impaired function in their hands may have difficulty opening them

I appreciated the information about their product being "organic" and grown outside and I'll trust that it's accurate.  I have no green thumb so I can't in good conscience have any preferences about growing inside vs. out, but I know some people do.

Their bags are also labelled with their Maggie's Farm logo.  Nice marketing, but for safety reasons, some people may not feel secure with that.  Get stopped by a cop and having a dispensary name on a product in easy view of the officer you're trying not to get a ticket from isn't great planning.  I'd rather have a nice non-provocative bag, thank you.

They advertised their Sugar Hash (which I think is made with the leftovers from the trimming process as they blend their strains to make it) for 5 grams for $45.  Nice cost-efficient option for patients without financial resources.  I wonder how their Sugar Hash compares with Levity Wellness's Levit-aid Hash. 

Also, having a dispensary at their South Nevada location is definitely a step up from the crappy used-car places that have been there in succession for years.  I think the dispensary is a definite improvement for that piece of real estate and the property values around it, but that's my logic and I know many people in Colorado Springs that way because of that NIMBY quotient.

They take Visa/MC which as you all know I think is better for patient safety and comfort.

One odd thing happened though.  The very lovely ladies treated the weighing like a game show for how fast they could get the perfect 7g weight.  Now, I know I got 1/4, but placing so much emphasis on the perfect weighing when other dispensaries intentionally overweigh their 1/8 and 1/4 and such is kind of a downer.  Again, the weighing is where the dispensary has an interest in giving you what you paid for with as little overage as possible, but I don't think it needs to be shown off.


My two cents:

"Maggie's Farm" was written by Bob Dylan against the "protest" folk musicians who had sold out.  It's a deeply political song about capitalist exploitation. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie's_Farm

Then U2 covered it in 1986 as a protest against Margaret Thatcher's UK/Ireland policies.

There are more versions, but suffice to say, "Maggie's Farm" was always alluded to as a bad thing.  I'm sure either someone there is a fan of Dylan or one of the musicians who covered it, or maybe someone thought the name recognition for marketing outweighed in original negative connotation it has.  

As a name for an MMJ dispensary, it kind of confuses and scares me.  Got some goosepimples going on.

169086_Buy One, Get One Half Off Clearance Event at Famous Footwear. Valid 6/28-7/14/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment